If you haven’t heard of ASB for fly tying you’ve been missing out! This stuff is absolute magic to represent the gas building stage of chironomid pupae as they prepare for their emergence up through the water column, as well as for wing cases on ready to emerge nymphs and shell backs for scuds and boatman!
If/when you can source it, you’ll quickly discover that slicing it into consistently uniform strips thin enough to effectively tie small chironomid pupae is a bit of a nightmare! Well now you don’t have to worry about it because we cut this all new, never been used, material with absolute perfect consistency! Don’t be fooled by others cutting up random old computer store bags … you’re flies will not be consistent and you won’t be happy.
Available in 0.5mm, 0.75mm, 1.0mm, 1.5mm and 2.0mm capes and 3.5″ X 8″ ASB sheet sets (2 sheets per pack) for those who prefer to cut their own strips.
* please note: 0.5mm – 0.75mm are very thin and will require more turns (more material) to cover medium – large hooks and are only recommended for extremely small patterns or special applications. For perfect profiles with optimal material usage we recommend …
- 0.5mm: sizes #18 1X and smaller
- 0.75mm: sizes #18 – #16 1X
- 1.0mm: sizes #16 1X – #10 1X
- 1.5mm: sizes 12 2X – 10 2X (Bomber Chironomids) | small nymph/scud wing case/shellbacks
- 2.0mm: sizes 10 2X and larger | large nymph/scud wing case/shellbacks